Most people will regrettably experience a slip, trip, and fall mishap at some point in their lifetime. Even worse, they probably won’t even be at fault for the mishap. Since falls, trips, and slips can occur anywhere and to anybody, it’s critical to understand what to do in the aftermath of an incident.
This is particularly valid when you are not to blame for your fall. Premises liability is the legal obligation to maintain residences, buildings, parking lots, and walkways so that people can use them safely.
If you slipped, fell, and suffered significant injuries on someone else’s property due to their negligence, you may be entitled to recompense for your medical expenses, missed wages, and even emotional distress. This is known as premises liability.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
First and foremost, seek immediate medical attention:
- If you don’t believe you sustained injuries in the accident, you might underestimate the importance of promptly seeing a doctor. It may take days or weeks after the incident for many slip and fall injuries to manifest, including internal bleeding, traumatic brain injury, and back, neck, and spinal injuries. If you have consulted a doctor straight away, you safeguard your health and prevent disagreements when submitting a claim.
- It’s critical that you adhere strictly to your doctor’s treatment plan after they’ve evaluated you and recommended a course of action. This holds significance for your well-being, as adhering to your treatment regimen may expedite your recuperation period. It matters for your personal injury lawsuit as well. You are responsible for minimizing your damages by keeping your injuries from getting worse. The property owner may object to paying for further damages if you don’t follow your treatment plan since you didn’t try to mitigate them.
File a Report:
- You should notify the property owner or manager of your fall right away if you are not alone. In the event that it’s a business, they’ll probably write an incident report. Without a doubt, you ought to ask for a copy of the report. Verify that all incident information is included in the report. Keep your cool, and don’t talk to the manager or owner of the property too much. You don’t want to say anything that could be used against you in the future.
Gather Contact Info:
Acquire everyone’s contact details. Immediately speak with the owner of the company or property, the company’s insurance provider, and any witnesses who witnessed your accident. Gathering this data from witnesses who may be hard to track down later on is crucial if you need their statements for your case.
Keep Detailed Records and Document Everything You Can Remember:
- Note down as much as you can about the circumstances leading up to your fall. While you remember the fall vividly now, the specifics may eventually fade. Therefore, it’s important to record all the details immediately. Take pictures of the area where you slipped and fell as well as any dangers that may have contributed to your injury, if at all feasible.
- Moreover, recording all of the events leading up to the mishap is helpful. You should take notes that will aid in refreshing your memory because there may be a long period of time between your slip and fall mishap and the conclusion of your legal case—months or even years.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer:
- After your accident, you should consult with a knowledgeable slip and fall lawyer as quickly as you can. After that, they can look into your accident promptly and carefully and take action to protect any relevant evidence. They can also help you negotiate your settlement and avoid common mistakes. Their assistance ensures you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
You can still get assistance with your case from an expert slip and fall accident attorney even if you haven’t completed these steps. They could be able to gather crucial evidence and provide tactics for resolving any disagreements with the insurance provider. To arrange a free case evaluation to talk about your circumstances and how we can support you in pursuing your claim for compensation after a slip and fall accident, reach out to Adolphe Law Group.