When you buy a product from the store, you expect it to be safe to use. You don’t expect the instructions to be erroneous, creating a liability, or an electronic device to explode when you turn it on.
But sometimes, these things happen when the product is defective. And, if they do, they can cause serious injury. That’s when it’s time to see a product liability attorney in Lake Worth to see if you have a case against the manufacturer.
Here’s what you need to know about how a product liability attorney, like Adolphe Law Group, can help with defective product accidents.
What is a Defective Product Accident?
A defective product accident is when there’s an injury, illness, or another negative impact from a product that doesn’t work like it’s supposed to.
When a product is defective, it’s typically because of negligence on the part of the manufacturer, wholesaler, or retailer. If the injury or accident occurred because the consumer misused the product (i.e., they didn’t follow instructions), it’s not a defective product—instead, it’s a case of user error.
There are three types of defective products:
- Negligent design: The inventors did not think through safety concerns.
- Negligent manufacturing: Those who made the product made mistakes.
- Failure to warn: The manufacturer did not include a reasonable warning on the product.
Common Injuries from Defective Products
There can be a wide variety of injuries from defective products. Some common ones include:
- Cuts or lacerations from sharp or broken pieces
- Choking from small pieces of children’s toys that break off
- Burns from overheated electric products
- Illness or injury from dangerous drugs or chemicals (i.e., for cleaning)
- Head injuries from something that breaks (i.e., a ladder) while standing on it
When Should You See a Product Liability Attorney?
If you’ve been injured by a defective product, you may have a legal case. For you to have a case, though, it must be proven that you used the item correctly and followed any instructions or warnings.
If you did that and were still injured, you should contact a product liability attorney in Lake Worth.
Here’s what to do:
- Take photos and make notes of your injury, the product, and what happened
- Seek medical attention if needed
- Get legal advice from a product liability attorney and follow their directions
You may be awarded tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation if your case is successful. If you were hurt by a truly defective product and negligent manufacturer, you deserve to be compensated for your hardship.
Another outcome of a successful case is that the company may have to complete a product recall. This is when a company has to remove products in circulation and let people know there is an issue with them. It can potentially prevent others from being injured like you were.
At Adolphe Law Group, we’ve worked with many clients who were injured by defective products. It is our goal to always stand by your side and fight for you. So, don’t hesitate to contact us if you believe you have a case to be made.